Tuesday 29 October 2013

Baked: Banoffee Pie




I like to take pictures of the ingredients I will use, I think it's really fun (:


I made two types of pie crusts. This is the shortbread crust. I didn't use a food processor and it was fine. It just look longer. The recipe is really simple, but I didn't nail the timing of the oven right. This is a new pie crust recipe I tried. So I guess mistakes make me learn? Hahaha (optimistic much). My crust rose up too high. I think I got too excited with the number of pokes I did with the fork... Here's the recipe: Joy of Baking



Here's the graham cracker / digestive biscuits crust I did. This one was really simple. Also no food processor, that's why my crust was still a bit lumpy :(. But it tasted good!


And here's the final product: Banoffee Pie. It originates from UK in 1972, it's basically a combination of bananas and toffee. What can I say... It was so good!!! Felt like I went to banana heaven. I was wondering why the pie looked messy on masterchef australia, but after making it myself I understood why. So delish!

Recipe for Banoffee Pie:

Graham / Digestive Biscuits Crust:
- 6 pieces of digestive biscuits
- 8 tablespoons of melted butter

Use a food processor to blend the crust into small fine pieces. If you do not have a food processor, use a plastic bag and put the biscuits inside. Crush the biscuits into small pieces. Press the fine digestive biscuits onto the pie pan. Pour in the melted butter evenly on top. Put in the fridge for 20 - 25 minutes until harden. 

Toffee:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 2 cups caster sugar

Pour all the ingredients into a saucepan. Put on high heat and stir occasionally it prevent it from sticking onto pan and re-crystalizing. Optimum heat should be at 285 degrees Fahrenheit or 140 degree Celsius. The mixture will be brown and gooey, it's important to use it quickly before it hardens super fast. Immediately pour into your crust once it's out of the fridge.

Topping:
- 1 1/4 cup of whipped cream (35%-40% fat content is a must)
- 1/4 cup of icing sugar / powder sugar
- 2 medium-sized bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon of coffee/chocolate powder (optional)

Put the whip cream, and use a mixer with high speed for about 2 minutes. Add in the icing sugar and continue on high speed until it peaks on the top (usually after 5 minutes). Slice the bananas into small pieces. With the crust below, and toffee on top, put the sliced bananas to create one or two layers. Put all the whipped cream, and dust with instant coffee or chocolate powder on the top. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment